Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Being Natural is True Freedom and Internal Joy...

Dear Lord, (and anyone else out there reading my blog)...


These are photos of my first natural style, that I actually liked. I tried to wear the afro before for this. Everyone else complimented me. My biggest cheerleader my Mama even came over to give me grooming tips and more encouragement than I knew could exists. My identical twin sister took pictures. (I will post them tomorrow). She said later when you look back, you will see that indeed this afro does look beautiful on you. My husband made references to me looking like Angela Davis and the women of the 1970s. Everyone that mattered complimented and encouraged my first step to wearing my hair without my braid extensions. However there was so much, built up NON-LOVE, when I looked at my reflection in the mirror, I did not like the image looking back at me. What a shame, Shame, SHAME! I am so glad my identical twin sister took the pictures. I now am able to see the beauty in the natural me, Me, ME! (I promise I will post them tomorrow.)









These three pictures on the post today, are the sytle I was wearing when my "little mirror" said, "I don't want pony tails. I want to look like you. Pretty." My heart melted and my courage to be natural (without braid extensions) grew. I remember seeing a girl in this graduate program I am in, being natural. She radiates joy, confidence, beauty, and a comfortableness with herself I am yet able to describe with words. Well a positive habit, I had taken on was to compliment any woman I saw wearing her natural hair. I did not have the courage to do so for myself yet. But I wanted to, if I could, encourage them to keep doing what they were doing. Because, one thing I DID understand was being natural took boldness and it is also so very different from our current cultural standards. I wanted these ladies I complimented, to hear at least one person say something good to them that day about what they were saying to the world by simply being as God created them to be-- natural. This ended up being a reciprocal blessing, because the more I confessed to these sisters that I wanted to be natural but I was afraid, Afraid, AFRAID! They turned around and gave me advice, positive words, etc. But the girl, from my class said, "The day you are ready, I will help you style your hair." I surprised her when eight weeks later, I took her up on her offer. She said she thought I was not serious when I first mentioned my interest to her.







(Creyole, she was just as excited for me to be natural as you are for me to be Sisterlocked™. And the world truly is small, because she is also a member of my over 17,000 members church. I now see her at church and we encourage each other spiritually as well.) Oh, how the Lord has blessed my in my self-LOVE Experience. Thank you God. I give all of the glory, to you Lord.







The thing I found most facinating, was although I have not put any chemicals in my hair in over four years. The young lady from my class had been wearing her hair natural for a year and a half and she has more length, more volume, her hair is healthier. And she showed me pictures where her hair grew from being a TWA to the abundant mass of coily, kinky, wavy, natural strands they are today. I know, Know, KNOW that everyone hair is unique to them. However, I now realize that hair without the braid extensions are better. I also now realize, that Sisterlocks™ are an even better option. One major experience of freedom was when I went to the gym with this hairstyle. I work out consistently 4 days per week for two hours and I sweat like I've been in a shower for two hours. Well, I did not have to worry about my blown out afro shrinking. (Note to BlaqKofi-- I love volume). It was kind of disappointing to me when I first got my hair in TwoStrand Twists because it was done while my hair was wet. My natural hair is very "springy" and it just curled right up. I felt there was no volume and I felt like I looked like a boy. My girlfriend, from class said, " No. I like the way your hair does that, I wish mine would do that." Of course, I wishing my hair would do as her hair is doing. (Note to Ms Stella -- are you still out there? Did you have any similiar experiences with your hair?)

okay, Okay, OKAY! I really could talk to you forever and ever, Lord. But you know, I must go get the twins ready for school. Lord, I want you to know that I adore you, I confess all of my sins on to you (the ones I know of and the ones I don't know of), I am thankful to the many ways you exceedingly and abundantly bless your servant and her family -ME, I come to you in supplication for all women who are in bondage to the chemical treatments, the beauty salons, the self-HATE. I ask in Jesus's powerful and anointed name to release them from bondage as you did the children of Isreal. I also ask that in Jesus's mighty name they be release with a renewed and restored anointed love for self, a love for the God in them that is you, a self-Love! A-C-T-S!



In Jesus's Name, Amen.

RJQueen10


If anyone out there besides God is listening, feel free to share and post a response.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really love this style on you. I know you will be very pleased with your Sisterlocks. Isn't Creyole & BlaqKofi the best sistas? I have not had the pleasure of meeting them in person yet, but I so look forward to the day when I can and you as well. I do have deep roots in the South -- Shreveport,Bossier City, Grambling, LA and a host of friends in the DFW area. North Louisisan is my HOME. Enjoy your journey with all of us, My Sista!

Sis. RJQueen10 said...

Thank MsJamison2U,

For taking the time to come to my blog and experience my self-Love expeience. I am finally learning about my hair, I am finally liking my hair, I am finally on my way to LOVING my hair. That is so cool to me. Thank your for the compliment on my hair style. I will visit your blog real soon. As Creyole noticed, I am addicted to blogging.

I have met Creyole and I can't wait to meet BlaqKofi. Both are phenomenal women of Sisterlocks™

The South is were all the roots really, kinda start. The whole reason my family is back in Texas from California is becasue my Mama wanted us to get to know our roots before we became women. We have 5 generations still alive.

MsJamison2U, I still need to visit Louisana. I have been this close for the last 19 years and still not ventured into to that state. I believe it will happen in 2007.

God's Humble Servant,
Sis. RJQueen10

blackrussian said...

I don't know the reasons you haven't got your SLs yet, and I don't want my comments to have a HINT of judgment in them (because we all have to find our OWN way), but I love THIS look on you! It is SO VERY flattering and yes, feminine. VERY QUEENLY! The way you have the twists parted from your forehead - the design is heavenly. It is like you are wearing a little natural tiara all the time: your own natural crowning glory.

Even if you don't gets SLs when you take your braids out, I would love to see you rock this style again. IMO it is infinitely becoming!

Sis. RJQueen10 said...

To my long-winded soul blog sister mate BlackRussian,

AAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWW, thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU! I just put this style on my 4 year old daughter Friday and Saturaday (it took me a couple of days). I need to take some pictures and post them. My twin sister saw my daughter's hair at church this Sunday and said that I have skills. I am so very flattered by your comments that I am blushing! But to minimize some of my own vanity I will rightfully give God all of the glory!

Sis. RJQueen10

Sis. RJQueen10 said...

To my long-winded soul blog sister mate BlackRussian,

"I don't know the reasons you haven't got your SLs yet, and I don't want my comments to have a HINT of judgment in them (because we all have to find our OWN way)"

I have not found any of your comments to be judgemental. I welcome your opinion (and it does not have to agree with ME). I will get LOCKED oneday soon, but at this point I am weighing my options: Sisterlocks, Braidlocks, or Nappylocks. I pray that no more options surface! I am right on the verge of my final decision!

Sis. RJQueen10