Wednesday, October 10, 2007

My LOCKS Lift Me…

Dear God, (and everyone else out there reading me…)


Since you are omnipotent, omniscience, and omnipresent you are aware that I have actually been in a state of DEPRESSION, but as I drove home from my workout at the gym this morning I felt HAPPY for the first time in about three and a half months, my JOY is starting to reawaken too! I believe the feeling of Happiness is an external feeling and is controlled by things going on AROUND one’s life. I believe joy is an internal feeling and depends on the spiritual things going on IN one’s life. Thank you, God!

I LOVE my LOCKS, they are so liberating. My baby LOCKS are now three weeks and three days old and I have already had them retightened by the lovely Creyole. She also provided me with a stress relieving massage shampoo. My scalp tingled with relief and my voice box involuntarily released gratifying moan sounds. What a great shampoo, especially since I had gotten used to shampooing my hair every other day when I was kicking my short afro.

Wow, I feel surprised that my hair needed retightening. This is because there is growth, about ½ an inch, my hair has never grown this fast before. Actually keeping all the hair products and hair tools out of my hair is favorable to my new growth process. I feel so much more confident now that my hair has been retightened. I think I am kind of weird, because I am actually attracted to the parts showing in my hair. Before I got my LOCKS I read how some people did not like their parts showing. I don’t like my “kitchen” area that is growing out to be LOCKED one day, because it “looks” unruly. However, I really do not worry about it much especially since it is in the back out my head and I have to go out of my way to see my curly, kinky, coily, napps.

My simple regime consisted for the first three weeks of a spritz with some water that I tricked out with some Rosemary Tea, I got the recipe from bottom of page 45 “Going Natural” by Mireille Liong-A-Kong. I also cover my head at night when I go to sleep. That all, folks. I did not workout for two weeks because I was concerned my LOCKS would slip. I was timid about working out because when I work out, I sweat so hard and intense every part of myself is drenched like I stepped out a shower, especially my hair. Now I am at the gym on a regular basis, three times this week already I have not needed to spritz my hair every morning.

Although I was also afraid to touch my hair, I thought I would mess it up, I could not resist. I enjoy the course natural texture of my hair. I am not sure how to describe this touching sensation, but many of my hair strands in the back feel like what I image a LOCK to feel like.

I really like my spiked look and I look forward to the unknowns of how my LOCKS will behave as they continue to grow.



If anyone out there besides God is listening, feel free to share and post a response.

Sis. RJQueen10
Side Note to Self: I started with 3 inches of hair in the front and top, 2 inches in the back, and 1 inch and less near the nape of my neck.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I think your hair looks great. I remember when Goodnapps had that spikey look and I loved it on her too. Enjoy while it last because I am sure she will testify that it will be gone before you know it!

Keep glowing and growing,
Tra

Sis. RJQueen10 said...

Tra,

Thank you for your postive feedback! I am so JOYFUL about my LOCKS!

I spent most of my first day off from classes today blogging and catching up on others' blogs! I read your "I ""does"" hair", a while ago and just recently I had a rather similar experience. Let me go back over there and post my comment...

RJQueen10

muslimahlocs said...

ok, i am really behind on your blog. congratulations of your new locks. they look great and kind of like they are already starting to lock. is that the case? you must have the perfect hair for locks!

V @ Locks-N-Motion said...

Your locks are looking good! I also like the spiked look!

Sis. RJQueen10 said...

Muslimahlocs,

For you to say that my LOCKS look like the are aready starting to lock, holds a lot of weight! I was feeling that might be the case with my hair, but I did not want to get overly excited and be wrong. So thanks so much for stopping by and letting me hear from ya! I love my hair texture and my LOCKS. God I am glad to give you all of the glory!

RJQueen10

Sis. RJQueen10 said...

SistaLocd,

Thanks so much for reading me and taking extra time to let me know you have been here. The feedback and encouragement you ladies offer here in blogland is truly appreciated and welcomed. Thanks for liking my spiked look too!

RJQueen10

Ms Stella said...

I've been missing your postings. I'm happy to hear your spirits are lifted. Your locks are beautiful. If they keep growing that fast you'll have to post pics every week. As soon as you get used to one stage they'll enter another.

I'm going to have to try that Rosemary tea tonic.

Aya said...

Oh, the spiked look is hot!!! Enjoy it for now. Your locks are looking really good.

ja stu sisterlock journey said...

Your locks are looking good aready, I can imagine that in just a while they are going to be just fine.

Whats the method for that rosemary tea and water u use for spritzing your hair.I dont have the book.

Sis. RJQueen10 said...

Aya,

Thank you so very much. I saw a young lady at Walmart after church this morning. She had mature shoulder length locks with gold on the tips. I complimented her. She remarked the same thing as you. She said I notice you are just starting your locks. They look beautiful. She also said she missed this spiked look most of all. The encouraged me to enjoy this phase. I feel so real being natural with my LOCKS. Thank you God!

RJQueen10
RJQueen10

Sis. RJQueen10 said...

Ja Stu,

Wow! You are in Kingston Jamaica! Thank you for the feedback on my LOCKS, it helps alot. One thing I can't believe is how relaxed I am about my LOCKS and the whole self-LOVE experience. I do believe I owe this to many of the Phenomenal Women who came before me and courageously and gently shared thier journey through their blogspots.

Therefore I am even more flattered that someone is interested in what I do to maintain my hair. So here goes with an excerpt from "Going Natural" by Mireille Liong-A-Kong page 45. It is called...

Nappturality's most popular hair growth spritz:

(There is a cautionary note to use the concoction wisely-- Rosemary should not be used on women who are pregnanat.)

3-4 Rosemary tea bags
2-3 drops of sage essential oil (I don't have this)
1-2 cups off water
Spray Bottle

Bring the water to a boil and let it simmer to release impurities. Add the rosemary teabags and let it steep for about an hour. The more the bags steep, the more concentrated the brew will be. If it gets too concentrated the spritz may cause your scalp to itch. Add 2-3 drops of sage oil (once again I don't have this) and pour in a spray bottle.

Keep the concoction sealed and refrigerated all the time to prevent it from going bad. (Opps, I did not do this). Also use it within three weeks. (I did do this.)

I am only using this to add moisture to my hair. If it adds length that is even better. But that is not my goal. I am patiently enjoying how God is transforming me.

RJQueen10

ja stu sisterlock journey said...

Thanks for the information, I go for my retightening on friday Oct 26,so I will discuss it with my lotician and hear what she thinks.

All the best.

smayo said...

Your hair looks very nice!! I am happy that you are feeling so liberated by it too! I also hope that your depression lifts..I am experiencing a bit of that myself right now, so I know how that feels..Keep your head up...

Sis. RJQueen10 said...

Smayo,

Thanks for your wonderful feedback. I am taking things one day at a time. I pray your spirits are lifted as well.

Everytime I get good news like the fact that I got two A's in my graduate courses this semester I get lifted even further. Or when the sun shines brightly as it has all this week. Or when my children's eyes light up when the pass the Christmas tree and see all the presents I was able to afford to get them this year. Try as I might they still believe in Santa Claus. I have told them there is no Santa, but they are 4 years old soon to be 5 and at their school their teachers keep telling them about this Santa person.

Finally I think half the battle to overcoming depression is admitting it in the first place! So we are both towards the end of it!


RJQueen10

Jena Evans said...

I used to love my spiky look after I shampooed with braiding and banding. Enjoy the short days. I doubt they last long. Keep documenting your growth. You'll have lots of pleasantries to look back on. Happy New Year!

Jena Evans said...

Oop! That post was from me, Maryee, not Jen. I didn't know she was signed in! :-) Blessings...