Tuesday, March 13, 2007

To Color or Not To Color???


Dear God, (and anyone else out there reading...)

I made my decision last night. I was going to color my hair a bronze golden color. I called my consultant GIGI first to make sure this would not hinder my Sisterlocks™ process. I also wanted her opinion about the color I was considering. The first thing she mentioned is to have the coloring done before I get my Sisterlocks™ . She also said based upon photos on my blog... Wow! She visited my blog! I am so honored. Thank you, God. GiGi said based upon my photos that color will match my complexion. I had wanted to color because I wanted a visual of the contrast between where my hair started with Sisterlocks™ and where my hair was going with Sisterlocks™. I saw some beautiful color of some ladies' hair BlaqKofi, and a few others. I was visiting Maryee's blog yesterday and two days before she Sisterlocked™ she had her tresses colored. Even up to a year later she experienced dryness, she said it could have been previous perming or the color done right before she Sisterlock. I also read the truth about color in the book "No Lye" by Tulani Kinard and "Let's Talk Hair" by Pamela Ferrell. I came to the conclusion coloring is not for me. It would have been cool to enhance my hair with some Henna Dyes. But I will find a different way besides color to adorn my Sisterlocks™.

Does anyone out there have an opinion or experience about coloring their hair they would like to share with me, please do!

In Jesus' Name, Amen
Sis. RJQueen10

4 comments:

Abena Abena said...

RJQueen,

This is a good post. I too have decided not to color for a few reasons.

1. I don't want any chemicals in my hair. One of the reasons I got locks is because I did not want any form of chemicals in my hair.

2. I don't truly know how my locks will react to coloring until I do it and I am not willing to take that chance. I have heard different stories about after people colored their locks they had different problems....hair bunching, hair breakage etc.

3. I don't have any gray hair yet, but my concern is when I do someday :(, I do want to conceal it and I hope by then they have a non-chemical alternative to coloring..Have you heard of anything like that????

I personally do love the way color looks on some of the locks I have seen but until they invent another method of coloring that does not require chemicals I will not be getting color.

Locked 3 yrs.8mos.

Sis. RJQueen10 said...

Chosen Vessel,

Thanks for stopping by my blog spot again. I appreciate your presence and your spirit. Did you read the post I made to your blog on motherhood? I poured that one out from my heart. I am thinking about copying it and pasting it here in my blog spot.

Chosen, I was learning in the books I was reading "No Lye" by Tulani Kinard page 141 about "Henna Dyes". This is the first time I had ever hear of this. Here is a quote, " Coloring your hair with a henna dye is the most natural-- and least damaging--way to alter your natural color." If I can find someone to color my hair by this method before I get my Sisterlocks™ I will color my hair. Otherwise, it is NO COLOR for the Queen!

In the other book, "Let's Talk Hair" by Pamela Ferrell she talks about a wider variety of natural hair color options, that I never heard of before either. See pages 88-90.

What deterred me from coloring. I had an appointment set for today. She started talking about how she would have to bleach my hair to lighten it. I did not like the process she was describing to me. So although I admire other's color on them, I am finally natural, so I did not want to mess up my progress.

Sis. RJQueen10

The countdown is 2 Days until my initial consultation! I am so, So, SO EXCITED!

Maryee said...

If it were up to me, I would have not colored my locks prior to Sisterlocks. It would have been nice to see how they would have grown and locked without color, however, I must say I was glad I colored them to see the charted growth. I would like to color my hair again, but truthfully, my locks on the end where the color still remains are not locked. I'll have to add a "close-up" shot on my blog soon. Blessings,

Maryee

Sis. RJQueen10 said...

Thank You Maryee for stopping by my blog spot and leaving a comment. This is too cool! You sent this post just in time too. Because I had started wavering back and forth again on whether I should color or not. Your post today has sealed it for me. I will not color. I Will Not Color. I WILL NOT COLOR. Sometimes I have to repeat things to myself in order for it to really sink in deep. I will be looking for the "close up" shots on your blog spot. Your locks by the way are very attractive.

Sis. RJQueen10